Wednesday, August 19, 2009

It's an Unjust World

This has been a hard week for me. I am not really sure how to even begin. I guess it really started last week. After preschool last Wednesday I went to lunch with a friend and while we were eating Taylor fell out of her booster seat. I think it was too slippery on the chair and it just slid off. She skinned up her elbow and I think may have scratched her knee, but no major injuries. It really upset her though and I had a hard time calming her down. At the same time, Katelyn was really tired and fussy and I had a hard time getting her to settle down while Taylor was crying. I felt so bad for the other patrons of the restaurant.

When we got home I pulled up to the mailbox to check my mail from the car as I often do. It is more convenient that way with two little ones in the car. After I checked my mail I backed up so I could swing out wide enough to pull into the driveway. As soon as I backed up and was getting ready to put the car into drive, I felt another vehicle hit mine. A van pulled out of the driveway across the street and hit my front bumper on the passenger side. To make matters worse, it was a government vehicle. Thankfully no one was hurt. When I got the accident report it appeared to me that the officer had put the other driver at fault, but when we contacted their insurance adjuster he denied the claim because in his words I was 50% responsible. This really angered both me and my husband. I started looking for ways to try and get them to pay. Here we are in the middle of medical bills not only from Katelyn's birth, but now from her fall and this was just one more thing that I didn't want to have to deal with. I didn't think I should have to deal with it. He was the one who hit me. There was nothing I could have done to avoid the accident.

Well, yesterday I called the officer who was on the scene and asked him a few questions. I probed him a little and discovered that he had cited me for improper backing as well as the other driver. I didn't understand this, but apparently because I was backing away from my mailbox that is improper backing because I had to be on the wrong side of the road. It is a no win situation. I feel so helpless. Every fiber in my body wants to fight this for vindication and recompense, but deep down I know what the outcome will be. Daniel keeps telling me to just let it go, but that is easier said than done. I keep having to remind myself that God is in control and He has always been. Everything belongs to Him, so I shouldn't worry about the money. Part of what is so hard about all of this is that we have been trying so hard to be good stewards of what God has given us and to stay out of debt. Daniel has even been teaching a class at church by Crown Ministries. You hear so many people say that if you are obedient and faithful in what God has given you, then He will bless you. Well, that is not always the case and we are evidence of that right now. It is a hard pill to swallow. I don't know why God is allowing us to go through all of this. Maybe it is to test us to see if we really trust Him. I am having to cling to my Jehovah-Jireh and cling to the promise that He will take care of me even though I don't understand what He is doing. Please pray for me.

Photobucket

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Carrie, I am so sorry for the things you have been experiencing. I just wanted to comment on the "blessing" part of your post. I don't believe at all that if we are obedient life will always go our way...ya know? I have had a rough time lately and back a few years ago when I struggled with a very deep depression. One thing I wanted to share with you is that the times I have spent in the valley are the times I have sensed the Lord drawing me to Himself more than any other time in my life. He has used the darkest times in my life to stretch me, grow me and make me realize just how very desperate I am for Him. I will pray that He WILL bless you...but sometimes, I have found, those blessings don't always look like what we think they will. :)

Love you,
Candace

PS. Here is the blog entry where I shared about my struggling:

http://candacemercyisnew.blogspot.com/2009/08/tis-so-sweet.html

Hope some of this encourages you. Hang in there, you are not alone. :)